Monday, May 7, 2012

Custom Build It - Nike Santa Monica iD Studio

I guess I should begin by introducing myself. My name is Arvin, or, "arbeeezy" as some might know me on some social media networks. I am a part of the extended family of Footage by The Coolshoeshine. If you come to the Downtown Fullerton shop, you might catch me hanging out talking about sneakers or even working a shift from time to time(I'm usually the one wearing some model of Air Max or other runner). I will be posting in here every now and then sharing some of the stuff we enjoy or events we may attend, whether they may be sneaker related or not. We hope by doing so, you'll get a little glimpse into who we are besides "the guys who work at Footage".

Recently Andrew(one of the main guys you will deal with if you come into our Downtown Fullerton location) mentioned to me that he had been wanting to do an "iD" on Nike for quite some time now. I suggested to him that we go to Nike Santa Monica and do it at the iD Studio they had in store. He had never been to Nike Santa Monica before so I figured we could kill two birds with one stone. Recently, on a day we both had off from work, we made our trek to Santa Monica to build our iDs.



Andrew sending a text to one of your customers. Even on a day off, the man is still working.



What Andrew wore that day(taken with his iPhone)



What I wore.


If you haven't heard, Nike will be providing the official uniforms for the NFL this year. Nike is definitely doing their share in promoting this as there was official NFL gear all over the store, including Dunk iDs (both in lows and highs) that you can get with your favorite team's logo on it. Now if we only get a team here in Los Angeles.



I'm pretty sure Nike co-founder Bill Bowerman did not have me in mind when he said that.



I was pretty surprised to see these Air Wovens in store. I was expecting these to be a Euro only release as they are a part of the 2012 UEFA(The Union of European Football Association) Pack. The black and white pair is said to be an ode to the traditional Football cleat while the Blue and Red pair is said to represent the national team of France.





Unlike the Nike iD studio at 21 Mercer or Niketown New York which I had an opportunity to visit last year, the iD Studio at Santa Monica did not have it's own area away from the retail floor. And unlike in New York, you do not need to schedule an appointment to do an iD(though I would still call ahead just to make sure there isn't a big group of people doing iDs when you plan to visit).



"Sprite" inspired KDIV(sorry if the picture is blurry, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to take pictures).



One of the perks of doing an iD at one of Nike's iD studios is you get an opportunity to see some of the materials and colors in person before placing your order. Also, some colors and materials might only be available in studio and not on the website.



Andrew looked pretty happy with his design.



Whenever you do an iD in studio, you get this cool card which shows your information on one side and a picture of your actual design on the other side(if you're an Air Max fan, it's pretty easy to figure out what inspired Andrew's iD).



I ended up doing a couple of AMs myself.



It's fairly obvious who Nike is hoping will be playing in the NBA championship this year.

Before heading out, we grabbed some lunch at the Sarku Japan. I had the Teriyaki Chicken and Shrimp combo:



It was quite tasty.



Till next time. - arbeeezy

No comments:

Post a Comment